So… a LONG time ago – there was this thing going around on FB where friends were asking each other to put together a list of 25 things that most people likely didn’t know about them. It’s been a while, but here’s mine:
1. I have a tendency to be brutally (but gently) honest with the people I love – often telling them things that no one else has the courage to say. I’ve lost more than a few friends because of this. Strangely, I don’t really mind…
2. My very favourite move of all time is “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”. I love random order and subtext… it’s pretty much how I think.
3. I have two grandmothers, a brother, a dad, a mom and two step-parents who all live in Ontario. I haven’t seen my grandmothers or my brother since 1995, or my dad since 1996. My mom came to visit last year – the time before that was sometime around 2000/2001.
4. I have one eternally unrequited love, one ex who I still call my friend, and one ex who really broke me – hard.
5. Someone once suggested that I might develop an allergy to chocolate. The thought of this was enough to make me cry.
6. Some of the things I used to want to be when I grew up: Firefighter, Truck-driver, Helicopter Search and Rescue Pilot, Homeopathic Doctor, Lawyer, Marine Biologist, the Messiah.
7. I once read a story about a woman on the Titanic who refused to leave the ship without her Great Dane. After the boat sank, her body was seen in the water with her arms frozen around her dog. My dog is a Great Dane and one of my greatest loves. My heart is convinced that I would give my life for him, but if I really think about it, I have to admit to a shadow of doubt. This really bothers me.
8. When I was a kid, someone I loved told me I sounded terrible when I sang. I didn’t sing in front of another human being for over 20 years. In 2004, I was fortunate enough to encounter a man who was able to help me release that. Now, not only do I sing in front of pretty much anyone – I help other people find their voices too…
9. I often feel like no matter how much older I get – I’m really just a teenage boy playing make-believe inside a grown-up skin. I asked my dad about this once. He said he pretty much feels the same way.
10. I am a VERY private person. The idea of posting this list in a public forum is agonizing for me. I am also extremely earnest… ditto for writing it.
11. I am a poet.
12. When I was little, I was fascinated by the idea of god. In my quest to understand – I went to Sunday school for a while. What I remember most is that they gave me a goldfish on the first day, as a reward for attending. My cat ate it. The next week, they gave me another one. It jumped out of its bowl & suffocated on air. The teacher didn’t like that I kept asking “why”. She kept feeding me some trite line about god working in mysterious ways. I quit going to Sunday school.
13. I know a lot of people, but I have very few close friends. I find it difficult to maintain superficial relationships. I also suck at keeping in touch with people who are far away.
14. I like to keep things organized & tidy. It is important to me that my house is kept clean. I alphabetize my CDs (thank you iPod for doing this automatically), sort my books according to genre & subject matter, arrange the clothes in my closet according to seasons, color & purpose, and so on. Strangely, I’m also a generally low-stress, easy going guy.
15. I have a ‘way’ with animals – especially dogs & horses. As I get older, I like them more than many of the people I meet. I’ve been known to stand outside for hours, in the middle of the night – just to watch my neighbours horses graze.
16. I don’t smoke pot. As a general rule – I don’t consume much alcohol either. I do enjoy a really good scotch once or twice a year.
17. I collect crystals, minerals, rocks & gemstones. I love them. Most nights, I sleep with at least 2 or 3 under my pillow.
18. I love to read. I will read pretty much anything. I am also a stickler for spelling, punctuation and grammar. Sloppy writing makes me crazy – including emails. I think the “there, their, they’re” screenshot jokes are hilarious!
19. I don’t like parties. The last one I went to – I spent most of the night asleep in my van while my magpie danced her fanny off inside. I’m ok with that, but next time, I think I’ll just stay home.
20. I started writing my first book this year (2012).
21. Despite the fact that I love teaching, facilitation & leadership – I am a hardcore introvert. There is nothing I love more than still, silent time alone. If “life” didn’t require that I leave the house for food/money/etc. I would rarely venture out in public.
22. I used to be an idealist.
23. My dream home is a tiny cabin in the woods – preferably off-grid, on a huge, remote acreage. I would love nothing more than to learn to sustain myself off the land & welcome occasional visitors for philosophical banter & a mug of tea by the woodstove.
24. In my opinion, anything that comes in a set, especially if it includes a neatly organized carrying case, is cause for bona fide excitement!
25. It’s taken me over 4 years to finish this list.